This is the blog of Laurence Eastham, the Editor of Computers & Law magazine and of this site. It comments on developments in IT law and IT applications in the areas traditionally covered by Computers & Law. There will also be occasional guest contributions from others. The views expressed here are personal views and in no way represent the views of SCL, its trustees or any other member of the Society.
- The Downing Street Lovers and the Information Commissioner (05/06/2013 14:52)
Laurence Eastham reveals all he knows about the identity of those involved in the Downing Street fling and wonders if there are lessons for a poorly resourced ICO.
- Innocent Face and Mischief (24/05/2013 17:40)
Will Sally Bercow’s costly defeat be enough to make people think twice about mindless tweeting? Would the court’s judgment have been different if the Defamation Act 2013 had applied? Will the allegations really be forgotten?
- Shocking: Unprepared (15/05/2013 09:01)
Spurred by the recent ICO survey of business awareness of the EU DP reform package, Laurence Eastham has an awful confession
- Google, Googlies and Goolies (26/04/2013 10:51)
Is Google getting off lightly in its likely settlement with the EU Commission on search?
- Data Protection: NHS Turkeys Consulted on Christmas (26/03/2013 11:01)
The latest MoJ consultation is just a waste of time
- Wide-eyed (20/03/2013 16:12)
It is facile to say that IT law is international in its scope. But do IT lawyers wear jurisdictional blinkers anyway?
- Free Speech: A Bit of a Nuisance (13/02/2013 13:45)
Are our concerns about free speech in social media etc overlooking an elephant in a Parliamentary Committee’s room?
- Bill Shock and Children (22/01/2013 11:34)
The premium rate watchdog has issued a report with lots of good ideas. It clearly cares about protecting children. But there is a crucial piece of contract law missing.
- My Pedantic Position on EU Online Rights (16/01/2013 12:19)
The EU Commission does seem to get it when it comes to online rights for citizens. At least its heart is in the right place. But it could do to polish its act and get the small things right.
- Predictions 2013 (19/11/2012 22:50)
If you have been missed out from my invitation list and want to contribute to our festival of predictions, you still can. This year is different as we look further into the future. Here are some thoughts to get you started, some extra tips, and details of the valuable prize for most accurate prediction.
Printed from www.scl.org ( (c) The Society for Computers & Law)