This is the blog of Laurence Eastham, the Editor of Computers & Law magazine and of this site. It comments on developments in IT law and IT applications in the areas traditionally covered by Computers & Law. There will also be occasional guest contributions from others. The views expressed here are personal views and in no way represent the views of SCL, its trustees or any other member of the Society.
- Internet Blocking and One-sided Argument (29/11/2013 13:08)
A spate of Internet blocking orders raises an issue about due process
- Nominet Consultations and Mince Pies (20/11/2013 16:09)
Nominet is going ahead with its plans for shorter domain names, although a consultation appears to have produced a two-thirds majority against. I am sure that they wanted it realIy.
- Monkeys, Dartboards and Predictions (11/11/2013 18:54)
Reviewing the predictions published on the SCL web site over the last few years suggests that nearly all of the next lot of predictions will be wrong. But don’t let that stop you from trying to get it right.
- Silly Terms and Conditions (13/10/2013 09:15)
An article in the FT has caused a bit of a stir and I wonder what SCL members think
- Run Down by a Hype Cycle (10/10/2013 13:52)
I am rather late to Gartner’s hype cycle for 2013 but it is all a bit frightening for those pedestrians among us who are struggling to keep up. I have some sympathetic suggestions for IT lawyers.
- The Seven Year Dither (10/09/2013 09:54)
The Information Commissioner has again pleaded for the implementation of the power to send people to prison for data protection offences. His plea would carry more weight if the ICO actually tried to address serious criminal behaviour with serious criminal charges.
- Rocket Back to the Future (24/08/2013 12:37)
I have been wondering whether recently doing the time-warp has led me into another era.
- Misleading and Updating (15/08/2013 11:31)
How far should we go to keep web site articles up to date? Do we have adequate disclaimers in place?
- Porn Block: Infantilising Teens? (23/07/2013 15:38)
I cannot find a comfortable position on this one but I have one special worry
- Digital Courtrooms: Hurrah (28/06/2013 13:41)
Damian Green’s announcement of a wide-ranging action plan to improve the criminal justice system is to be applauded. Clap.
Printed from www.scl.org ( (c) The Society for Computers & Law)