SCL's downloadable resource on the health of the tech law sector is now available
What is it ?
The SCL Tech Law Barometer is an exciting new initiative launched in 2019 designed to gauge the tech law sector. We wanted to define and understand the booming and ever-expanding sector in which we all work - take an annual snapshot of SCL activity and the thoughts of our members.
The aim was to provide a published resource for members, national and legal media and others in the legal industry that would become something that could be built upon year by year.
Tech law is a vital and growing sector, tech pervades all areas of everyday life and it's important to understand this evolution and our role within it. It's also a wonderful opportunity for review and reflection and a stimulus for conversation.
How we did it
We put together a set of questions and launched an online survey inviting the membership to take part. The Barometer sought views into a wide range of topics, split over six sections:
1. ‘About You’ covering the sample, gender and regional breakdown
2. ‘Your Business’ on what drives business and what do clients expect?
3. ‘Tech in Your Business’: are you using AI for example?
4. ‘The In-House View’: is it any different to private practice?
5. ‘Your training and development’ seeks answers on how you keep up to date and how your firm handles issues such as diversity
6. ‘The Zeitgeist’: looking to the wider world, what do our members think about some of the key questions that are shaping the tech law world such as whether GDPR fines should be capped
The final published report is not just facts and figures. The results of the survey questions are supplemented by comments that flesh out the bare bones of the figures, providing insight that tick box answers cannot provide.
The 36-page report can be downloaded as a PDF below and shared with colleagues, contacts and anyone you think would find it useful.